If you want to limit the number of toothaches, cavities, and other dental problems that might befall you, you must maintain a daily oral hygiene routine. Brushing your teeth each morning and evening, and flossing once each day will be a great start. You can limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks, and rinse your mouth with water if you do partake in such consumables. Even with great dental self-care, you may find yourself with a toothache one day. Your Farmington Hills dentist, Dr. Aziza Askari, offers a top ten list of toothache causes.
The Top Ten List of Toothache Causes
10. Bodily health conditions such as angina, headaches, sinus infections, and TMJ disorder can all mimic toothache pain.
9. Dental injuries – Chipped teeth, cut gums, or jaw fractures are examples of dental injuries that could lead to a toothache.
8. Tooth Fractures – A hairline fracture or completely broken tooth can send signals to the nerves that something’s wrong, resulting in tooth pain.
7. Dental Abscess – A bacterial infection can result in an abscess, which is a painful collection of pus near a tooth.
6. Gingivitis – This early phase of gum disease consists of inflamed gums triggered from plaque and tarter buildup.
5. Periodontal Disease – Full blown gum disease can also lead to toothache.
4. Oral Health Conditions – Dry mouth or salivary gland conditions can create a feeling of discomfort in teeth.
3. Deviated Septum – When nose separation is not centered, airflow can be impeded, leading to discomfort that mimics a toothache.
2. Tartar and plaque – Food, acid, bacteria, and saliva form a sticky biofilm called plaque. This can damage tooth enamel, creating irritation and even pain at the gumline.
1. Cavities – Tooth decay, especially when left to cause major damage, is well known to cause toothaches.
If you are experiencing a toothache, don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Askari. To schedule a consultation at Comfort Dental Spa contact our Farmington Hills dentist office at (248) 474-6434. We are happy to serve patients in Farmington Hills, MI, the 48335 zip code, and surrounding neighborhoods.